Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sail On

I'm into my second week of notional unemployment as a classroom assistant. My former (but still current, sort of) employer had the kindness to allow me to work a summer contract for their extended school year program, so while unemployed, I am not yet bereft. I return to work in a week, for four weeks.

For the fall school season I am on my own, and while someone assured me that I will land on my feet (during the worst recession in modern history, and in the education field where fully certified teachers are hurting for work), every now and again I imagine that homelessness might be right around the corner. I put the thought out of my mind, and try to think pleasant thoughts, while filling out yet another application.

I know more than a few people that are hurting--either out of jobs, or short on funds--and I don't imagine that's going to change any time soon. Of course the word "soon" is relative. I think our economy will be on an upswing about a year to 15 months from now. But "soon" is like today, tomorrow, July or August for those of us on the edge and wondering what will we do.

There are a lot of people in this nation facing the question, "What do I do?," and frequently the answer involves a lot of uproot, pain and difficulty. Sometimes those doing the firing have no idea what you will go through as your ship leaves their shore and heads out into the beautiful sea. You were only docking, offloading goods, lending a hand until utility is gone. "But the storm is rolling in," you say, hoping for reprieve, but you are told to sail on. It will be good for you.

No comments: